Around the Web is where we see point you in the direction of other great conversations on the internet. Music writing is never hard to find, and these are our favorite pieces from the last week or so.
- Buzzfeed: How Selling Out Saved Indie Rock – If there is such thing as mandatory reading for today’s indie rock fan, this is surely part of the curriculum. Jessica Hopper takes an extremely in-depth look at the process of licensing music and the relationship between an artist’s living and commercial work.
- Village Voice: Jared Leto Is The Center of the Universe – “But Jared Leto isn’t unbelievable because he manages all this while sucking so outrageously; what makes him genuinely uncanny is that he sucks so specifically.” That should reel you in. Read David Thorpe.
- Noisey: What Your Shitty Taste In Music Says About You – It’s like looking into a thousand mirrors. Maybe a disco ball.
- Noisey: The Pop Diaspora of M.I.A. – A lot of people don’t seem to give M.I.A. or her latest album Matangi the benefit of the doubt. Ayesha Siddiqi puts it in perspective, reflects on the complexities of ethnicity and identity.
- The Hairpin: Your Favorite Rapper Probably Sucks: An Interview With Angel Haze – Angel Haze speaks to Emma Carmichael about her upcoming January release, Macklemore, Nicki Minaj, Starbucks/Chipotle dreams and co-signs.